5 Tips for a Healthier office
By: Thomas Johnson Jr.
Founder & CEO of GetUpNGetFit LLC
Often times people working in an office environment find themselves sitting for long period of time. When they finally do get up to go to the employee lounge, they are greeted by a basket of pastries, tempting them to indulge. Combine a sedentary lifestyle with food that's high in simple sugar and you get a recipe for disaster.
Here are 5 simple tips that will promote a healthier office environment:
(1) Encourage employees to get up and stand or move around 2- 5 mins for every 1.5-2 hours they are sitting. This will help increase blood circulation to the lower extremities.
(2) Replace the employee lounge basket of pastry treats with vegetables, fruits or nuts. This is a healthier alternative and will provide the employee with sustainable energy compared to the temporary sugar rush which usually leads to their body crashing shortly after consumption.
(3) Have more coffee and tea additive alternatives other than cow's milk and sugar. Suggestion: introduce almond milk, coconut milk, raw honey, stevia, or agave nectar.
(4) Place the water cooler on the other side of the office, so employees are forced to get up and walk when they become thirsty.
(5) Increase natural light in the work environment by opening the shades or blinds. This will allow more sunlight to pass through. Sunlight provides vitamin D, which is great for bone health, decreases symptoms of depression and has so many other benefits.
Implement these 5 tips and watch how the office environment changes over time.